Wednesday 23 November 2011

Little Moments

Wesley is going through a bit of a seperation anxiety phase right now. Some days are worse than others. Yesterday was a leg-clinging, can't-be-out-of-his-sight day - and since I had things I needed/wanted to get done, I found this annoying. And today when I woke up, I felt really convicted for my annoyance with my 10 month old son and his desire to be with me. Because some days, for whatever reason, we just need what Wesley did yesterday - comfort, reassurance, encouragement. I have days like this; I think we all do.

Obviously I can't spend all day, every day with a baby on my hip. Things DO need to get done, but today, I decided to just be whatever my son needed. After breakfast we went downstairs and my little shadow followed me into the laundry room, over to the computer... He was only content to play if I  was sitting right there with him. He didn't need me to engage in the play, but just to be there.

So I sat and watched him play for 45 minutes and I was amazed and awed and overcome by him, and the One who created him, all over again. What a perfect design! His soft, oh-so-kissable skin, the precision of his tiny fingers picking up a cheerio, the beginnings of language in his babbles and coos, the growing awareness of cause and effect (if I clap my hands together, they make a sound!)... and the security he feels in looking over his shoulder to see that mommy is still there.

I'm grateful for my son everyday, and so humbled by the gift I've been entrusted with, but sometimes I need to slow down and take time to savour him. And not let the things I "need" to get done take precedence over his need for me to be fully present.

Here's my little marvel after waking up from his nap this afternoon... LOVE!

No comments:

Post a Comment