Thursday 1 December 2011

Delicious Italy

My husband and I went to Italy two summers ago. It was my dream trip and after lots of saving and planning we finally did it... and it was amazing! We were there for two glorious, very, very hot weeks and during that time we toured around Venice, Cinque Terre, Florence, Tuscany, Umbria and Rome. So much about Italy is beautiful... the landscape, the architecture, the history... but the FOOD is a whole other thing! Once you've eaten true, authentic, Italian food you're pretty much ruined for everything else. Everything tastes better there! We brought home a couple bottles of olive oil and when we finally ran out, I cried. Really. I often have dreams about Italian pizza and try as I might, I've never found anything comparable here. I think the beauty of Italian food is often in it's simplicity. It's all about using a few, really good quality ingredients, rather than having tons of flavours competing against each other. Sometimes a dinner of pasta, lemon juice and parmesan is just the right thing.

I just finished reading Bella Italia by Frances Mayes (the sequel to Under the Tuscan Sun which inspired part of our journey to Italy) and it totally brought back all the sights and sounds and smells of Tuscany. What I would give for some pizza margherita and gelato for dessert!

Brian with his beloved pizza margherita in Venice

A glass of wine at sunset in Cinque Terre

No comments:

Post a Comment