Saturday 17 December 2011

Soup's On!

My perfect meal is a steaming bowl of hearty, homemade soup and fresh bread. Nothing seems more nourishing to both body and mind on a chilly fall or winter day. I've been doing soup a lot lately because it's a fairly simple and light meal and you can pack in lots of nutrition. I can usually serve it to Wesley too which is a bonus (preparing a separate meal for him is not always easy during the 5 o'clock rush!). PLUS, hello... leftovers! So great for freezing and then pulling out for lunch or a quick dinner!
 
Tonight's dinner - Moroccan Beef Stew

I made this Moroccan Beef Stew tonight and it was delicious! Hearty and filling but not heavy, and the combination of the cumin and cinnamon is so tasty! The recipe calls for 6 cups of chicken or beef stock; I used 'no salt added' chicken stock (since I was serving it to Wesley as well). I also used only a few pinches of sea salt when browning the beef instead of the 2 tsp the recipe calls for and then salted a little more before serving after I had removed Wesley's portion. Oh, and it's called a 'stew' but I would say it definitely is more soup-like!

Another favourite soup in our house right now is this Curried Carrot Soup.  Brian actually makes this one most of the time; it's sort of become his 'specialty'. The curry and ginger flavours are fantastic together and the coconut milk makes it so rich and creamy. We make this in a big batch because it freezes really well and just gets better each time you heat it up! This one is a little on the lighter side so is great for lunch with a grilled cheese sandwich or some crusty bread.

Bon appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment