Friday 20 April 2012

A Day in the Life

"So, what did you do today?” my husband asks over a thrown-together dinner of turkey burgers and leftover peas pulao. “Not much,” I shrug, surprised by the flash of jealousy I feel as he tells me about his business lunch at Red Lobster, the exciting negotiations meeting with a prospective client. I’m angry at myself as I try to squelch the feeling – I love my role as a stay-at-home mom; this is the job I want, the job I relish (most days!)… so why do I struggle to find an answer for how I spend my days? Why do I equate them with “not much”? Why do I feel that my husband’s days are somehow more important or more exciting?... And not just because of the Cheddar Bay biscuits at Red Lobster!

I don’t want to look back on a day, a week, a month, a year, a lifetime and feel like I have spent my time doing “not much.” I’ve started noting and recording the gifts in my life recently (one thousand gifts); the seemingly small things that make life extraordinary. My eyes are open and attuned to these moments, but there is still the ordinary, the everyday, which make up a life. The things that I shrug off so easily. This is not a life half-lived, unfulfilled or unimportant… rather a life of MUCH. Much love, much peace, much laughter, much inspiration and creativity... there might be hardship, but there is also much overcoming. It's a life spent in creating a legacy for my children… a life of ordinary (and extraordinary) moments, lived full of grace, and joy, and gentleness and wisdom (and that’s a prophecy over myself!). Taking each ordinary moment as a gift from the Lord, a blessing from His hand. 

So in order to have a better answer for my husband's “what did you do today” question, I kept a running list yesterday of some of the things that made up my very full day. Many of these things might seem ordinary or mundane, but all total they make up a very extraordinary life!


Here's a snippet of my day...
  • diapers changed = 5
  • quinoa peanut butter balls
  • avocado wiped from face and hands and hair
  • collecting rocks
  • extracting rocks from little mouth
  • clean sheets on the bed
  • visit to playgroup
  • conversation about chickens with other mom
  • prying clingy toddler from legs
  • number of answers to “waa dat?” = 100+ (at least!)
  • storytime
  • singing “wake up little bunnies” and other little ditties
  • arranging bright orange daisies in a vase
  • scrubbing spaghetti stains out of placemats
  • playdoh
  • emptying the dishwasher
  • wrapping birthday gift and making birthday card
  •  a cup of tea and “Revenge”
  • a hurried shower, no time to dry hair
  • building fort with couch cushions
  • kissing bump on the head after fort collapses
  • chasing Wesley around the yard in our bare feet
  • feet sorting through boxes of clothes for shorts that fit
  • running with the wind in my hair and music pumping
  • dancing around the living room to giggles and squeals
  • chasing the grumpies away
  • a deliciously long nap (although not for me)
  • pulling puzzle pieces and dustballs out from under the couch
  • filling the cupboards with beautiful new dishes
  • packing away the old
  • firing up the BBQ

No comments:

Post a Comment