Sunday 23 October 2011

Keen on KEEN-wah

We've been lovin' quinoa around our house lately! I made a big pot up on Wednesday night (it keeps really well in the refridgerator) and have been incorporating it into dishes all week. It's great to mix in with your oatmeal, or in soup... Brian even put some in the smoothies he made for breakfast yesterday! I must have been pretty convincing with that "this is sooo good for you" speech!

I really wanted to get Wesley on to quinoa because it's such a great grain - tons of protein and vitamins like iron and magnesium. For lunch today he had my own spin on this Quinoa Mexicana Salad recipe I saw on one of my favourite sites Weelicious. I realized after the first few bites that he was finding the quinoa a little dry on it's own so I added some plain whole milk yogurt and then he gobbled it up!

Here's what I used:

a few tbsp of cooked quinoa
1/2 avocado, chopped
ripe mango, chopped
few sprigs of cilantro, finely chipped
1 tbsp lime juice
1 tbsp olive oil
1-2 tbsp of plain whole milk yogurt

Mix together and serve!

You could mash the avocado and mango if you want a smoother consistency or for a younger baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment