Sunday 4 March 2012

Getting Crafty (Book Sling)

I thought I'd share a fun, crafty project that I did this week for Wesley's play area. It's a book sling which was super easy and inexpensive to make and looks really cute (I think!). I had seen the idea in a  bunch of places online and then tracked down this simple tutorial to make it.


All you need is about 1.5 yards of fabric, two 4 foot long wooden dowels, double curtain brackets and a sewing machine. Believe me, my sewing machine skills are very limited, but all this required was a straight line, so I was able to handle that at least.... although don't look too closesly at the stitches!


Wesley looooves books and is constantly yanking them off the shelves and leaving them all over the house. This is a nice alternative to a book shelf because you can just throw them back in the sling - and it's much easier for him to put them back too! Still working on that part...


Aren't those little owls adorable?? I got the fabric from this little gem of a shop in Niagara-on-the-Lake. Brian was there for a conference this past week and so Wesley and I went up to stay with him for a couple days. Such a lovely, picturesque area - even in the winter! Definitely want to go back in the summer!

I'm thinking about making a second sling to hang over this one for more book storage, and also would like to cover some coordinating pillows for a cozy little reading nook.

Happy crafting!


No comments:

Post a Comment